Console Development

Console Development

We recently got some devkits. I want to explain where we are with consoles.. because there’s been a lot of speculation on the forums and on twitter.

So with Rust, we are planning to port it to consoles. We haven’t started that process yet. We’re not planning anything until we’ve tried to get it running on one of the consoles and know what problems we’re going to face. It’s important to emphasise here that we’re porting TO consoles. We’re not making a dumbed down console version and then porting it back to the PC. So might happen, might not. Depends on a bunch of stuff. Either way neither the PS4 or XBone have any kind of early access program as far as I know, so it will be a while away.

The Steam Box has made us a bit more free. We can spend time making games that play awesome on the TV but don’t really shine in front of a PC. It’s not a risk anymore for us. It’s because of Steam Box we feel free to work on games like that. Even if they never reach the other consoles they now have a place on Steam.  There’ll still be people who want to play them.

TLDR: We love the PC. It’ll always be our main target. We’ll always be porting away from it, not to it. We won’t ever sign exclusivity deals. You’ll always get our games on the PC first.

28 Comments

1. Cool story, bro

• Gary I love rust. I cant wait to play it on xbox one

• ps4 got early access!

2. gross

3. <3 Thanks Garry! This is so reassuring that we picked the right project to build alongside Rust.

4. Nice… are you considering porting the game to Wii U? The gamepad would be great for inventory management and crafting. Yeah, the Wii U is weak, has only 2GB RAM (1GB usable for games), but hey, the PS3 has only 256MB RAM and runs GTA V, so I guess the Wii U can run Rust, just need more optimization. I’m sure Rust on Wii U would be a great success, as this console is lacking hardcore games.

Also, if you like Steam Box, which runs SteamOS, which is Linux, please help us Linux gamers help you devs by providing debugging logs and console output of errors, so we can fix the annoying bugs together :)

• No plans to run on Wii U.

• Was planning on getting Rust for PC. Now that I heard there will be a console version I want that one instead, but since it’s not coming for Wii U, I guess I won’t be getting the game at all.

• The Wii U is a toxic zone for games. Mainly, only casual games have come out for it, and in it’s current state rust requires a good PC to run, making it less likely to come out on the Wii U without having some serious downgrades in graphics.
      In response to Alex- That is incredibly stupid.

5. love rust. looking forward to seeing what comes next!

• i haven’t even played it and i agree lmao! keep going garry i may be late but the game is full of potential!!!

6. Well i think facepunch studios just leapfrogged into one of my favorite developers out there, good to know it could come to consoles!

• No not consoles….. steambox console that I’m not gonna buy

7. new mutated animal ideas:
    1.mechanical rabbit(made out of metal hostile takes more damage from hatchets than guns
    2.cute little OH GOD(looks like a cat when it sees you it opens its missing bleeding eyes
    its mouth is nailed together and uses pshycic powers to use its tail (that dont touches the body)
    as weapon.takes 2 p250 shots to kill)
    what the AHHHH(looks like a bee hive at the ground (have eyes)
    when it sees you it send out loads of small tentacels to defend it selv)
    THE RUSTED( deadly huge metal eagle with rust all over it it one shots naked(with full kevlar it takes away 50 hp)it fires green fire that gives you bleeding effect( takes 20 bolt action rifle hits to kill)drops rust scale armor (´respawns every day)(best armor in game)

• That’s stupid. They are going to making more natural things, that’s why zombies are removed. And those bears with wolves are really enough! I’m always getting angry bcuz bear, when eated me, doesn’t coming out from my things, don’t allowing me to grab it. Trying to get rid of him(making him run away, following me and dying) is failure, he comes back!

8. Any plans to implement player-developed content into Rust? A good example would be the program that Valve has with respect to Counter-Strike: Global Offensive in which players have been developing the custom skins for weapons etc.

9. When’s the CPC464 version coming out? I’m guessing that’s likely to be more stable than the current Mac client? :p

10. What would be cool is if all platforms could play on the same servers!

• well since they said they werent going to dumb it down i hope that means compatibility as each version will have the same items im not sure whats in the xbox or the playstation for that matter but i assume they use different processors which means different optimizations o im not sure if the code will be cmpatible unless the server is running alot of the data

11. I’m really happy that its coming to consoles. What I’m really curious is would it play the same as a PC? For example would it have a chat box area like the PC? It could work for the ps4 cause there’s a built in keyboard on the screen of the ps4. So I think it will work. Would it also like have plugins and such like the PC for servers? That would be awesome! Will we be able to create servers on consoles? On bf3 we can create servers on ps3. Also it will be awesome if it was on all platforms, but in the same time there are people that have PC which has better hardware. So I might also just want ps4 servers.

12. I WANT RUSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT any coupons?><

13. Garry, thats the exact reason I love your games and your company, also you should release the 2D zombie game you guys made on steam for free.

14. will rust player models and other models in the game ever be on the source film maker? it would be quite fun to animate the existing things in the game.

15. I love gmod just got it and its awesome I know this doesn’t make any sense about consoles but its fun

16. Is there going to be a PS3 version of RUST?

17. I would like to see a bigger map and once all systems are running i want the Multiplayer to link up all devices.

EG: one server that can host all devices (PS, Xbox and PC)

• The map is plenty big but the developed area is quite small I would like to see maybe some level mesa’s they’d make great defensive areas and would be a prime target after a server refresh and would make for an interesting raid